We are eager to spread the message of Intuitive Eating to help people make peace with food and create a healthy relationship with eating, mind and body. We get numerous requests from around the world from people who want to work with local health professionals and/or support groups. Therefore we created a standardized training and certification process to help assure a consistent message that promotes the intention and the integrity of the Intuitive Eating process.
There are two certifications categories—one for allied health professionals, Certified Intuitive Eating Counselor, which was created in 2007. The newest is the Certified Intuitive Eating Lay Facilitator.
Detailed information on how to become a Certified Intuitive Eating Counselor or Lay Facilitator can be found here: 2018 Requirements
Benefits of Becoming a Certified Intuitive Eating Counselor
In our 3rd edition of Intuitive Eating, we encourage readers to work with health professionals who are Certified Intuitive Eating Counselors. Upon completion of the certification requirements you will receive the following:
1. Membership in the Certified Intuitive Eating Counselors Community
2. Listing in The Certified Intuitive Eating Counselors Directory on www.IntuitiveEating.org website . This directory is also mentioned in our book’s Resource Appendix.
3. Licensed Use of the Logo “Trained & Certified by the Original Intuitive Eating Pros “(for Certified Counselors, only). There is no fee for using our logo, but you will need to maintain supervision hours, which involves three sessions every five years. The ability to use our logo will be renewed every five years upon completion of these three further sessions of supervision with either Evelyn or Elyse or both.
FAQ’s Intuitive Eating PRO Skills Teleseminar Training & Certification
To see if your profession qualifies, please email your resume to email@example.com
The following is a list of allied health professionals who qualify to become Certified Intuitive Eating Counselors. Allied health professionals include professions that require extensive training and knowledge, and usually possess a bachelor’s degree (or higher) and credentialing or licensing in a health-related field. This may also include various wellness coaches, provided that the International Federation of Coaches (IFC) accredits their training organization*.
- Allied Health Professionals
- Certified Personal Trainers*
- Certified Health/Wellness Coaches**
- Health Educators
- Health related fields (holding a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree)—e.g. physical education,public health, nutrition, psychology, biology,physician assistants, dental hygienists, scientists,medical assistants, lab technicians, EMTs, etc.
- Life Science Professionals (such as biologist,geneticist)
- Marriage Family Counselors
- Occupational Therapists, Physical Therapists, Speech Therapists
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists
- School Counselors
- Social Workers
- Yoga Therapists
*ACSM-certified and/or have bachelor’s degree
**To see if your coaching certification meets ICF accreditation, check their website: https://www.coachfederation.org/
Intuitive Eating Skills teleseminar series provides 6 hours and meets these learning codes:5200 Disordered Eating, 5370 Weight Management, 5460 Self-care management, 6000 EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND COUNSELING, 6010 Behavior change theories, techniques,6020 Counseling, therapy, and facilitation skills, 6030 Education theories and techniques for adults, 6040 Education theories and techniques for children and adolescents, 6050 Instructional materials development, 6060 Learning needs assessment, learning plan development, and evaluation, 6070 Interviewing and listening skills, 6080 Training, coaching, and mentoring.
Group supervision series, provides 4.5 hours and meets these learning codes:6020 Counseling, therapy, and facilitation skills, 6070 Interviewing and listening skills, 6080 Training, coaching, and mentoring.
Where can I get more information on the Helm Publishing Self-Study Intuitive Eating Course & Exam?
For questions about the Helm Publishing Self-Study Intuitive Eating Course or Exam please contact Helm directly.
Customer Service: 940-497-3558 Toll Free
In general, supervision focuses on increasing your competence and skill level, through a collaborative process. Having two minds digest the details of your situation provides insights that may have been missed without that collaboration. It’s a process driven by your own client cases and situations. The focus is to understand the Intuitive Eating dynamics and to deepen your knowledge about the process, in order to ultimately become more effective working with your clients.
Getting the Most Out of Supervision
In order to get the most out of this short series, please be prepared to discuss one to two cases, in which you could use some direction, feedback, insight and/or validation. It’s also okay to:·
- Bring up a past case·
- Discuss how a current case might be triggering for you around your own eating issues
- Discuss your own eating/body issues
It’s also okay if you don’t have any cases–just be prepared to ask questions about the cases presented; or general questions including starting a practice.